Saturday, October 11, 2008

26 moments of bliss

Ah, got ya! Did you think I was going to list something sweet and sappy about my family? Well, I could, I guess, but no. What I am referring to are letters. Yep, the good old alphabet that I am sure many of you recite often as you teach your kids the alphabet song. Seems simple, doesn't it? It is, really, but if you get to thinking about those letters, they take on a complexity as intricate as you can begin to imagine. I was listening to NPR this morning, yes, I listen to NPR, and I love it, but anyway, there was a segment on in which the NPR staff was naming their favorite letters, and I have never actually thought about it! Have you? When I began to try to figure mine out, and why, which is actually the most important part of your favorite letter because it says so much about who you are and your personality, I found that I was trying to figure out the most versatile letter; the one that can be used the most often. And then I got frustrated because I am so completely practical that I irritate myself. Yes, my practicality serves me well in many, many situations, but it's so boring sometimes. I am challenging myself to not be so safe all the time. For example, I might choose a dish that I totally think is boring at a restaurant because I want to make sure I am getting my money's worth. I know I will like it, but on the other side of the menu, something else might look so tantalizing, but what if I don't enjoy it? Then I would be mad at myself. I need to lighten up. I am sure that while reading this my husband is holding his chest before he falls on the floor in total amazement.

I like B, but I don't know that it would be my "favorite". I love words and letters so much, it's hard to choose a favorite, but maybe I just think that because choosing just one is so impractical! You need all the letters to get something accomplished.

No comments: